Saturday, May 17, 2008

Arrowhead from Risingsun, Ohio

These are a few pictures I took recently of an arrowhead that I found on my Grandpa and Grandma Hoover's farm in Risingsun, Ohio when I was in my early teens. I remember being so excited to find it and how I immediately held it up to the Sun in appreciation. God knows I thank Him, our Great Creator God, and He obviously winked at my youthful ignorance.

I had been into American Indian lore before it became chic, and my Grandma Vivian Hoover encouraged it by buying me plenty of very nice and expensive books on American Indians. I donated them later to Springfield High School in Holland, Ohio so more people could enjoy them.

My arrowhead means a lot to me, representing God's good earth, our farm in Risingun, Ohio (a village in the Black Swamp territory that my ancestors from England* helped establish), and intriguing questions remain about what Indian made my arrowhead and how did he lose it?

The commemorative coin in the corner of the pictures celebrates the 100th anniversary of Risingsun. The side with the Sun and Hills reads: Risingsun, Ohio - 1874-1974 - Centennial, and the other side reads: 100th Anniversary - Respect For The Past - Confidence In The Future.

I hope you enjoy these pictures! Just click on the picture to make it bigger.

*
John Mervin: Risingsun, Ohio Pioneer

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

No comments: