Monday, August 18, 2008

The Great Sand Dunes are not a mirage!

I recently returned from seeing the Great Sand Dunes en route to Four Corners from Toledo, Ohio! I had never heard of them before, but when I stopped to read the historical information sign near Alamosa in San Luis Valley, Colorado about Mount Blanca, the first of the four sacred mountains to the Deneh/Navajo (and in the Navajo language Mount Blanca is called Tsisnaasjini' - Dawn or White Shell Mountain), I noticed the sign mentioning the Great Sand Dunes and decided to go check them out and was hoping they wouldn't be a waste of time and gas money - and they definitely weren't! I would love to have spent more time there, and was sure glad I was there early in the morning so I could climb on them before it got too hot (and the altitude certainly affected me too), and I saw my first Pronghorn Antelope there, but I continued to Four Corners, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly (de shay)...

The Great Sand Dunes are not a mirage!

No comments: