Monday, August 20, 2007

Update on Salah Choudhury

Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007
From: Salah Choudhury
Subject: NEXT COURT DATE ON 23RD SEPTEMBER

NEXT COURT DATE ON 23RD SEPTEMBER
As you all know, I went to the court this morning and was already
inside the courtroom by 10:00 am. The judge picked up my file
some time around 11:40 am [today he was rather kind enough in not
keeping me waiting for 5-6 hours like other days], and set the
next date of trial on 23rd September 2007.

Most surprisingly, there was no witness today to be testified
nor there been the Public Prosecutor. Rather the Public
Prosecutor was busy in the trial of the former State Minister for
Home Affairs, who now faces criminal charges for possessing arms.
As soon as I heard the next court date, I sent SMS message to
Brother Richard Benkin. My lawyers told me that, as my Leave to
Appeal Petition is pending with the Appellate Division, the trial
court cannot hear the case till it is disposed off in the
Appellate Division. Possibly, the case would not be even heard in
the Appellate Division by 23rd September. Therefore, the trial
court will have to once again give a new date.

However, the dark side of the matter is, Bangladesh Government is
yet to drop the charges showing respect to Resolutions passed in
the US Congress, European Parliament and Australian Parliament.
According to my lawyer Advocate Samarendra Nath Goswami, the
hearing in Appellate Division might take place some time in mid
September. However, it may even be shifted till December first
week as because, there are large number of pending cases with the
Appellate Division.

Meanwhile, I was told that Honorable Congressman Mark Steven Kirk
has sent a letter to the Bangladesh Government.
The Canadian Parliament under the auspicious initiative of my
international counsel Professor Irwin Cotler also sent a similar
letter. I am waiting to receive the copies of those letters. Once
I get them, certainly I shall be able to share those letters with
my supporters as well as the readers of Weekly Blitz.
I am grateful to all of you for your precious and
continuous cooperation.

Regards
Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury

SALAH UDDIN SHOAIB CHOUDHURY
Journalist, Columnist, Author & Peace Activist
Editor & Publisher, Weekly Blitz www.weeklyblitz.net
Recipient of PEN USA Freedom to Write Award 2005
Recipient of American Jewish Committee Moral Courage
Award 2006
Phone: 880-1911-326232, 880-1711-938344, 880-1911-133614

No comments: