Friday, May 02, 2008

Israel’s Holocaust Memorial Opens Photo Archive on the Internet

Israel’s Holocaust Memorial Opens Photo Archive on the Internet
Jerusalem (CNSNews.com)
– In honor of Holocaust Martyrs and Heroes Remembrance Day, marked in Israel on Thursday, Yad Vashem, Israel’s main Holocaust memorial, has expanded its Internet presence by opening an online database containing 130,000 photos of the lives Jews before, during and after the horrors of World War II...

****************

I've been to Yad Vashem many times, and I've even encouraged them to build a monument called Shear-Yashuv ("the Remnant will Return") for Holocaust Survivors.

When I used to live and work at the Palm Youth Hostel outside the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem, I used to ask our guests if they had watched Schindler's List. If they had, I was honored to take them to see where Oskar Schindler is buried so they could place a stone on his tombstone (the practice in Israel).

Here's an article I wrote about my beloved kibbutz mother, Miriam Weiss:

Miriam Weiss: Holocaust Survivor and Kibbutz Mother
On that precious list of "Righteous Gentiles" (rare individuals who assisted Jews during the Holocaust) is the great name of Jan Bulski who risked his life and family in Poland to save my "kibbutz mother" -- Miriam Weiss -- who I met and was "adopted" by at Kibbutz Ramat Yohanan near Haifa in Northern Israel while a volunteer there from October 1982 to February 1983.

No comments: