Monday, May 26, 2008

Latest news on Shoaib Choudhury

From Naomi Ragen:

Friends,
Here is the latest information from our Muslim friend, the courageous Bangladeshi journalist who is being hounded by the government because he refuses to give up the hope that his country and Israel may be friends.
From Shoaib Choudhury:
I have to appear in the court, on May 27 2008 at 10:00 am as usual. This month, I had to be in the court twice [one on May 8 and the other on May 27].

I did not count as to how many hundreds of hours I spent at the court room since 2003 [November 29 I was arrested].

But, one thing is for sure, such legal harrassment is causing my mental and financial constraint every month. Meanwhile, the Bangladeshi government withdrew police protection from my residence on May 5 2008 and the protection never came back, even though my brother Dr. Richard L Benkin and I were repeatedly promised by many of the officials in the government.

Law and order situation is deteriorating in Bangladesh, and members of my family are passing horrible time due to absense of police protection.

Moreover, members of notorious Rapid Action Battalion [RAB] looted cash and valuables from my office when they abducted me on March 18, 2008. Despite numerous promises from the government, the looted valuables had never been returned nor there has been any action against the culprit RAB men.

SALAH UDDIN SHOAIB CHOUDHURY
Journalist, Columnist, Author & Peace Activist
Editor & Publisher, Weekly Blitz www.weeklyblitz.net
PEN USA Freedom to Write Award 2005; AJC Moral Courage Award 2006
Key to the Englewood City, USA [Highest Honor] 2007; Monaco Media Award, 2007

No comments: