Thursday, July 02, 2009

Caring ministers educate themselves about homosexuality

Are gays worse sinners than straights? was my biblical response to the Living Church of God commentary, "A rose by any other name..."

I've received this latest response to their article and feel it's worth sharing:


I've just read the commentary by Davey Crockett, "A rose by any other name..."

While some of what was written is valid, this author's lack of understanding about the complex issue of homosexuality seems to be summed up by citing a few scriptures from Romans 1.

My life and experiences have absolutely no connection to Romans 1 whatsoever! Candidly, I resent Romans 1 being held over my head like a club. Romans 1 has no bearing on my personal struggle with homosexuality! Neither does the Genesis 19 story of Sodom and Gomorrah!

A careful reading of Romans 1 indicates that the people described by the apostle Paul were heterosexual people who choose consciously to experiment with homosexual activity as a part of pagan worship practices. Romans 1 has absolutely nothing to do with my life or struggles!

I grew up "gay" from the inside out. It just happened - automatically and unconsciously - I didn't choose to be gay! My homosexual orientation has been with me since my childhood. While most boys go through puberty and feel attraction to girls - I felt attraction to other boys. It wasn't a "choice" that I made. It just happened. Why? Well, there's a lot of debate about the causes of homosexuality in today's society. But, I KNOW that Romans 1 has absolutely nothing to do with it!

God called me into contact with the WCG when I was 17 years old. Since then, I have struggled for 39 years with homosexual attraction. I spent decades in the WCG until 1995. For years, my life was a living hell there! The hostile environment and ignorance toward "gays" only made my personal struggle to live as a Christian more difficult! There are many other homosexual men who can say the same thing!

One of your leading ministers in the LCG was a part of that hostility and abuse during those Worldwide years in the 70s and 80s. He caused a considerable amount of pain to me and others by his attacks and ranting against homosexuals. I remember vividly a sermon he gave in my church area in 1985. I'll never forget it because it left me in literal emotional and physical pain!

I am now a member of the UCG and I handle my life and struggle much better than in past years. I also have a caring minister who has taken the time to educate himself about the issue of homosexuality.

I have an article about homosexuality posted on the Internet. It talks about the need for the Church of God to reach out to help those who struggle with this issue. The link for the article is at: www.michael9776.com. I hope you'll take time to read it.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Michael Harris

(Mr. Harris, here writing under a pseudonym, is a member of the United Church of God who receives E-mail at michael9776@cs.com )

No comments: